So I'm fully aware it's been almost a year since I've written anything on here. Mostly due to the fact that so much has happened I don't even know where to begin to start explaining it. Most of it good, LOTS of it hard, plenty of challenging. I'll get around to that later. Or maybe I won't.
Anyhoo, to get back into the habit of blogging, I stole a great idea from my friend Laurie. 30 posts in 30 days. I'm sure it will take me longer, but here we go.
day 1. a recent photo of me
This was taken, by my boyfriend Patrick, last July at the beginning of our hike up the Narrows in Zion. (no, i don't have a more recent picture of just me.) This hike was one of the most amazing and difficult things I have ever done. If you know me at all, you know I am not the "outdoorsy type". I don't camp. I don't hike. Or at least I didn't until Pat came along. (more on him later) But, when one is in love, one tries new things. And this trip will forever be in my top 5 memories shared with him.
This hike was hard for me. I didn't feel great to begin with (UTI...awesome!). I was a little nervous, and also afraid to look like a wimp. But mostly I was excited to be in such an amazing place, and for Patrick to share one of his favorite places with me. It started out easy enough, beautiful crystal clear water. But as we got further up the Narrows the water became murky and it was soon impossible to see where you were stepping. One minute the water was up to your ankles, the next step it might be up to your hips! Still, we were having the best time. Pat was right there by me, the whole time, helping me find my way when I needed help. After more than 2 hours working our way up, we decided to turn back. This is where it got really difficult, and why I'm telling you this long story for one photo. As we made our way down, it was so much harder. We were exhausted, and tired of hiking, and still had a long way to go. There were parts where I needed help getting across, and parts where Pat needed my help. There were times when one of us just kind of wanted to give up. But no matter what Patrick was always there for me, cheering me on and helping me find my way. And it was during those times this hike kind of became a metaphor for our relationship for me. Because things are hard sometimes. And things suck, bad, sometimes. And sometimes things are awesome and easy! And sometimes I want to just give up. And sometimes I'm the strong one. But, no matter what, we are there for each other. When things are hard, and I'm falling apart, Patrick is always there to catch me and help me find my way. And it was amazing to finish that hike! I was so proud of us, me, him. I know it sounds SO cheesy. But this is what this photo reminds me of. The journey. It's not always sunshine and unicorn farts. But it is worth it. And coming out on the other side, together, is what it's all about.
I'm so excited to see you in the blogging world!
ReplyDeleteFun! Maybe someday I'll take the 30/30 challenge.
ReplyDelete