Friday, June 22, 2012

i'm feeling a little rant-y these days.


              Living in Utah County, people get a little freaked out when you tell them you are pro-choice. It’s like you pretty much said you like to kill babies. I don’t like to kill babies. Yes, I am pro-choice; no, I am not pro-abortion. The far-right pro-lifers want to ban abortion entirely. No one should be able to get an abortion, no matter what the circumstance may be. I think those people are insane, but that’s just me. Even moderate pro-lifers argue there has to be some sort of middle ground in the abortion debate. I would argue, however, that being pro-choice is the middle ground. The opposite of abortions for no one? Abortions for everyone! Even typing that seems ridiculous, this concept of forced abortions.
                Being pro-choice means exactly that: I am a proponent of having a choice. I think it is my duty as a woman to be educated about all of my choices when it comes to preventing pregnancy. It is my duty as a mother to teach my daughter how to protect herself, how to respect herself. It is the duty of lawmakers to give women access to ways to educate and protect themselves. We all need to arm ourselves with education and information regarding sexuality, contraception, and parenthood. Pro-lifers argue that abortion shouldn’t be used as a form of birth control; I could not agree more. Both sides of this debate would like to see, at least, a reduction in the number of abortions performed.
                It seems to me so many from the pro-life side want to rid the country of abortion, but are unwilling to give people the tools they need to do that. Women and men need to be taught how to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Women need access to affordable healthcare and contraception. Our kids need to be taught more than just abstinence-only sex education. But these options and programs are constantly being attacked. State and federal law makers are trying, successfully in some states, to pull funding from Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood provides services to millions of men, women, and adolescents annually. Planned Parenthood also provides abortions. By law, it is illegal for any tax payer dollars to be used to provide abortion services. The right-wing thinks if Title X funds are pulled from Planned Parenthood, it will cut their ability to perform abortions because their budget wouldn’t allow it. A mere 3% of services performed at Planned Parenthood are abortions, so the reality is cutting their funding will drastically cut their ability to provide health screenings, treatments for sexually transmitted infections, and affordable birth control to their clients.
                Many health insurance plans do not cover any form of birth control for women, and birth control can be expensive. The birth control pill can cost upwards of fifty dollars a month, and an IUD has a one-time cost of nearly five hundred dollars. Many women just don’t have that much extra room in their budget, nor do they have the means to care for a child if they do become pregnant. The irony of the matter is insurers won’t cover birth control, but they’ll insure the (much more expensive) child. If medications like Viagra and Cialis are covered, it is only fair that medications related to women’s sexuality be covered as well. Men want to be able to get an erection and enjoy their sex life, women should be able to enjoy their sex life without the added worry of becoming pregnant if they don’t want to.
                It is my job as a parent to educate my child about sex. I want my daughter to not have sex until she is old enough to understand the implications and responsibilities of a sexual relationship, 35-ish sounds good to me. But I am a realist; she will probably not wait as long as I would like her to. She needs to know how to protect herself from pregnancy and disease. She needs to know to come to me, and we will get her on birth control. She needs to know how a condom works, and how to have the strength to tell her partner he has to wear one. She needs to be taught to respect her body, and the body of her partner. But there are many parents who are not comfortable or willing to have those conversations with their children. For that reason, we need to have a backup plan. Kids deserve a sex education that doesn’t just teach them “you shouldn’t have sex.” It is our job as parents, adults, and educators to give our kids every opportunity in the world. Giving them a comprehensive sex education empowers them to meet their own goals, and not be forced to abandon their dreams because of an unintended pregnancy.
                I joke about being a pretty apathetic person, but I really don’t care what other people do. I’ve never understood people who feel compelled to worry over what other people are doing. Unless what someone else is doing is an active threat to my safety, or the safety of those I love, I don’t care. I don’t. You want to get an abortion? Great, I trust you enough to assume that is the best decision for you. You want to have a baby, or give that baby up for adoption? Whatever is best for you. It is none of my business how others choose to live their lives; it’s not your business how I choose to live mine. I think the world would be much better served by people focusing on themselves and their loved ones, and raising their families to have the values and beliefs that are important to them. We all need to remember that what is right and good for one, may not be right and good for another. We must learn to trust others, we must learn to accept others, we must learn mind our own business.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to finally see you writing again. I thought this was very well written. I wish more people were like you in the sense of being honest and straight forward. You are a pretty amazing person, and an even better Mom. Lily is lucky to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete